NJneering

Hardware Update - October 2016

56 posts in this topic

Hey Backers,

We apologize for the delay on the hardware update as we are trying to focus on multiple things at once.

Here is a glimpse into what we have been working on. This is the main display tech that is in development for Shiftwear's product lines. As you can see it supports HD content that is in motion and with beautiful colors. 

We are closing in on creating a really robust demo that will then get us the support and resources needed to boost the project forward. The most integral part of this whole project is the display and once we perfect that, everything else will fall into place. Wireless tech, processing, controls, power and quality footwear design have all been implemented already. 

Our main goals now are: 

1. Integrating all the parts into a durable package. 

2. Scaling the business up so we can move towards production.

We are aiming to reach several milestones in November to help us move this project forward. Please stay patient and supportive as we try to get this done.

PS: Trust me, wait till you see it in person!

12 people like this

Wonderful! Finally good to see some proof of concept. 

On a side note, any idea when we could see the shoe itself? Also, is the final shipment still on course for December or more so looking at, say, January or February?

6 people like this

yesssssssssssssss aaah you have tp get us creative types some dimensions guys! We're dying to make some animations!

2 people like this

Yeah. This is awesome. Love the concept. Just want to see the shoe erm prototype if there is one. Though I am pleased with a small update I was hoping for a bigger update with pics and all of that. Erm am I too soon?

1 person likes this

That's really exciting! But according to the video, that's a very early proof of concept, not a prototype, and is just a flexible screen behind a simple cutout. Do you have a prototype as well? Or something beyond the early proof of concept stage?  It would be good to see something in the shape of a shoe, given that you are just a few weeks from the target. 

Wow! This looks really cool. I'm wondering how all the negative people who said the flexible screen was not possible will react to this video. This looks awesome and the screen looks really smooth and sharp.

Can't wait to see the actual shoe and to play with the app. If you need  betatesters for the app I can help you. 

Keep up the good work!

Ok cool, BUT:
I wonder why we backers didn't get the update by e-mail and I had to find out myself it was published days ago on YouTube. :(
So, don't forget to first inform your backers, then the rest next time thank you!

Edited by BoefjeNL
7 people like this

On 31/10/2016 at 3:01 AM, DrewsGFX said:

is the final shipment still on course for December or more so looking at, say, January or February?

ahahahah.

AHAHAHAH!

Good one

1 person likes this

just one last question on the campaign you promise us certain features like walk to charge an like long term battery life are these features still part of the plan for the shoes coming up or they being hold off till second gen if there will be a second gen but overall I'm impressed with the video you posted up....................P.S. if you gonna delay it I'm fine cause i rather have a finished product then a shipped broken one.

2 people like this

On 11/2/2016 at 8:55 AM, SkyDragon said:

just one last question on the campaign you promise us certain features like walk to charge an like long term battery life are these features still part of the plan for the shoes coming up or they being hold off till second gen if there will be a second gen but overall I'm impressed with the video you posted up....................P.S. if you gonna delay it I'm fine cause i rather have a finished product then a shipped broken one.

Yes, there are no changes to the features included in the first version. We couldn't agree more with you, shipping a polished finished product is priority for us.

2 people like this

On 01/11/2016 at 11:33 PM, AdamJ said:

That's really exciting! But according to the video, that's a very early proof of concept, not a prototype, and is just a flexible screen behind a simple cutout. Do you have a prototype as well? Or something beyond the early proof of concept stage?  It would be good to see something in the shape of a shoe, given that you are just a few weeks from the target. 

We will have that coming up soon in another update.

A semi-flexible screen attached to a piece of cardboard, with a cardboard cut-out at the front in order to make the viewer think the screen itself is shaped... ho boy. There's also a suspicious edit cut at 0:58, with lighting changes and position changes, but the 'image' on the screen maintains near-continuity. Not suspicious at all (feel the eyes roll, just like the engineer's do at 1:23...)

There's actually a flexible OLED screen available on www.alibaba.com at 128 x 92 resolution... for $350 USD. The screen shown in this video has excellent resolution and is supposed to go on a shoe purchased for $150 USD, including margin for Shiftwear.

Sigh. 

Also, just to let readers know, the forum team are also moderating posts that question technical aspects. You can't say you haven't been warned.

5 hours ago, whoahwhathappened said:

Also, just to let readers know, the forum team are also moderating posts that question technical aspects. You can't say you haven't been warned.

I noticed it too. This is kind of worrying me. Also they should probably know already if the shipment will be delayed in 2017 yet they don't tell us.

I think I want a refund now. I'll wait for the shoe to hit the store. If it's going to be anything like the OUYA, the backers will be delivered last anyway.

Hey guys, thanks for all of the feedback and comments - I'm here to address a few of your concerns:

1. I'm an engineer, not an actor. I tried my best, but I couldn't do this in one take without fudging words or laughing - my technical skills are much better than my improvisation. We’re spending our time working hard to get ShiftWear out to market. We don’t, believe it or not, have time for cutting videos, changing lighting and crafting a fake video.
2. This is our first functional demo. This was created to demonstrate the technical capabilities of our product to a technical audience. As an engineer, I work with what's available to me on a budget- cardboard, 3D printed plastic, glue etc. Rest assured, the final product will be much more polished than the first prototype.
3. This product hinges on flexible screen tech and this demo exists as proof that the product is both plausible and underway. The missing piece for other big tech giants is not money, but technique. This is why it would not be in our best interest to divulge every detail of our technology. 
4. I see many comments stating that companies have tried similar things before and failed while also requesting proof of a finished product - this is a contradiction. It's clear that this product presents huge technical challenges. We've learned a lot from past failures and have made huge strides in development, but a project like this is going to take some time to complete.

Keep asking questions - I appreciate the support and curiosity. Many of you, like us, see huge potential in this technology and we are very passionate about bringing it to fruition. I'll try to improve my screen presence for the next update video, but I can't make any promises.

-Nick

3 people like this

15 hours ago, whoahwhathappened said:

You’ve noted that we’re moderating comments, and this has been the case for some time. We all believe in free speech and getting a conversation going between the different members of our community. We’re not moderating comments that question technical aspects, we’re moderating comments that add nothing to our community. If we issue you a warning, it's for a reason, so please don't create a second account to try and by-pass the positive conversation we have going. This forum is a place for conversation and friendly discussion, not negative speculation. We’ve been going round in circles for months with users who have nothing but negativity to spread, and we have no problem removing these users from our forums. If you have constructive criticism, please send it our way and we can incorporate this moving forward; we'd love your help! But comments with nothing but negative opinion and speculation help no-one, and that’s not why we created this forum. We really appreciate the support of those of you have stuck by us, so lets keep it positive :)

4 people like this

Very nice to see..something. Nick mentioned that this was a very early proof of concept, can we expect to see a showcase of the working prototype before pre-order release? or is the marketing team hoping the buzz created by early buyer videos will get the hype train rolling for official retail release?

2 minutes ago, Old Drifter said:

Very nice to see..something. Nick mentioned that this was a very early proof of concept, can we expect to see a showcase of the working prototype before pre-order release? or is the marketing team hoping the buzz created by early buyer videos will get the hype train rolling for official retail release?

Old Drifter/Master Roshi,

Yes absolutely. We'll showcase our working prototype in an upcoming hardware update before the pre-order release. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, NJneering said:

Yes absolutely. We'll showcase our working prototype in an upcoming hardware update before the pre-order release. 

Very cool, thanks for the hardware update man can't wait for the next one. Keep on rockin and don't listen to the naysayers, they just want to see the world burn.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, NJneering said:

Any chance you can give us any sort of time-frame? At least, would it be possible to know if/when the product will be set back to. I personally don't believe the finished product will be finished by December, however, I'm also not the one making it. Any info would be helpful! Thanks--

1 person likes this

I'm not out to deliberately denigrate the conversation being had about this product, but the lack of transparency regarding the technology and its feasibility is certainly worrying. As NJneering says, "This product hinges on flexible screen tech", and what we haven't truly seen is this "tech" being put onto clothing in any product yet - not even by the "big tech giants".

There could be a "technique" approach that has been missed by the big guys, e.g., by shaping multiple displays around key parts of the shoe; however, I also pointed out that the expense of a single, low-res, flexible OLED display appears to far outstrip the selling point of this shoe. This is not a denigration. This is a fact that no "technique" can mask.

If you show an actual shoe being worn and going through its paces by one of your team, you will go a long way in dispelling any doubts. 

5 hours ago, whoahwhathappened said:

I'm not out to deliberately denigrate the conversation being had about this product, but the lack of transparency regarding the technology and its feasibility is certainly worrying. As NJneering says, "This product hinges on flexible screen tech", and what we haven't truly seen is this "tech" being put onto clothing in any product yet - not even by the "big tech giants".

There could be a "technique" approach that has been missed by the big guys, e.g., by shaping multiple displays around key parts of the shoe; however, I also pointed out that the expense of a single, low-res, flexible OLED display appears to far outstrip the selling point of this shoe. This is not a denigration. This is a fact that no "technique" can mask.

If you show an actual shoe being worn and going through its paces by one of your team, you will go a long way in dispelling any doubts. 

I can assure you, our technique does not involve purchasing off-the-shelf OLED displays from Alibaba. As you correctly pointed out, that isn't really a cost effective approach. I appreciate your interest in our technology - it is new and exciting and because of this, we can't divulge much about it. Stay tuned for more details and updates but until then, you are more than welcome to keep guessing!

3 people like this

I'm personally very grateful for the updates.... Don't worry NJeering (Nick)  We don't want actors, just facts, which is

what we got and I appreciated.  I'd like to ask, and I know still a lot of work to be done, what is the date you guys are

thinking of being ready.  And will backers get them first?  Or will they be sold to stores at the same time?

Thank you guys for showing this! Seeing a working display really helps us have faith in the company. I can't wait for these to be finished and on my feet! 

I'm just hoping that they are produced and shipped while I am still able to wear them...or will I be the coolest old lady in the retirement home?

1 person likes this