George-SW

Prototype Update - January 2017

49 posts in this topic

To all who have loyally supported ShiftWear,

So…it’s been a long time coming, but we’re finally ready to unveil our new website, the second phase of pre-orders and, most importantly, an early stage of our prototype!

We know that the release of all of this is later than we had originally planned, but we spent the run up to the end of 2016 working round the clock to get everything ready to show you.

We’re now pushing ahead with our prototype to perfect it even further. Please read our update on the current version of the prototype here, which we will be changing to match the original design: DESIGN CHANGE.

You can see images & videos of the early stage prototype in action here: PROTOTYPE, alongside our new website layout and prototype announcement.

We have opened up our second phase of pre-orders here: PRE-ORDER PHASE TWO.

Thank you for your loyal support over the last few months, it’s what’s kept us going! We can’t wait to hear what you have to say - it’s your feedback that will help us to shape the prototype as we move forward.

As always, if you have any questions, just let me know. We’ll be more readily available on the forums now that we’ve been able to announce everything. While we still have to keep some details under wraps, we’ll answer questions where we can.

Everything is new - so if you are having any problems or notice any bugs, please let us know so we can fix them!

Best,
George

Dear,

When I look at the shoes at the new website, the screen is smaller than the ones we saw on indiegogo. Is it the intention to only have the screen on the heel of the shoe instead of the entire foot like originally? Or is this just for the prototype?

Kind regards

3 people like this

As the other poster, we hope the actual version has a much bigger screen. There are other prototype shoes like yours that look like your original design. 

If you compare it to the renders during the Indiegogo campaign, I have to say I am not that excited... I hope that each shoe will get two screens instead of just one on the side. Otherwise this product would be a real disappointment. The feeling I have now is that I've invested 300 dollars for a shoe with a small flex screen. 

Hopefully the final product will look way better. A full year for achieving this feels like you had a good laugh with everyone's money.

Is it realistic to think that these shoes will be final before summer or do we need to wait for another year or maybe two?

6 minutes ago, Tim.vranckx said:

If you compare it to the renders during the Indiegogo campaign, I have to say I am not that excited... I hope that each shoe will get two screens instead of just one on the side. Otherwise this product would be a real disappointment. The feeling I have now is that I've invested 300 dollars for a shoe with a small flex screen. 

Hopefully the final product will look way better. A full year for achieving this feels like you had a good laugh with everyone's money.

Is it realistic to think that these shoes will be final before summer or do we need to wait for another year or maybe two?

If you go to the homepage you'll see that the new design of the shoe does look like the prototype. I am indeed disappointed in the design, but you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true.

Dear bmorrise,

I meant the original indiegogo design compared to what they showed now. The M2's I ordered do not look the same as the prototype ?. 

And yes, it sounds too good to be true... I was expecting fa far more advanced prototype instead of a shoe with a flex screen sewn into...

Hi 

George plz we need answer 

Is this what will be?

I mean when we campaigning was the discription both sides screen and was around the shose.

What about who campaign in whole shose screen? 

I am sorry but I don't think will be like that.

Best regards 

Haitham Darwish 

MG 

THE FIVE ELEMENTS L.L.C 

Indeed like the other posters I hope that the screen can be a bit bigger but two screens on each site I would say isn't really important i would say

After looking at the Prototype, I must agree with the others here. This is disappointing. Certainly to those who supported at the M1 level. But what about people, myself included, who backed the $1000 Limited Edition full screen shoe? Will that now be 1/2 screen or less? Granted, the image is vibrant, crisp and amazing.

So far, many of us choose to ignore the cries of "Scam!", but it is getting more difficult to do so.

1 person likes this

This design sucks. It doesn't look like the comerical you ran your campaign on. The heel only looks cheap. I expect a unique display not a cheap square. Your company is going to go out of business if it's trying to sell such a cheap looking product to the public. You have already robbed me. I don't think you will ever finish your second preorder even with a product with no design. 

As with everyone else, I agree this prototype is disappointing when compared to the original design. I would not have paid hundreds of dollars for this. It just looks like a screen was slapped on instead of being part of the shoe's design. 

I think some of us have had unrealistic expectations. When you think of the kind of wear that a regular shoe takes, it is hard to believe they came up with a screen that can take so many bends and folds and creases. It makes sense then that the surface of the screen is smaller. At this point I will be happy if the final product looks like in the prototype, to be honest. 

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, tudork said:

I think some of us have had unrealistic expectations. When you think of the kind of wear that a regular shoe takes, it is hard to believe they came up with a screen that can take so many bends and folds and creases. It makes sense then that the surface of the screen is smaller. At this point I will be happy if the final product looks like in the prototype, to be honest. 

While I agree that some amount of adjustment was always going to be needed, this is vastly different than what was proposed to get the funding. This is essentially a phone-sized screen, and is not what I was hoping for. I am not pleased with the design, and think the shoes look clunky. I'm disappointed. 

I was actually intent on just letting the development run its course and stop being disappointed with every late update that doesn't fulfill what you promised before. Let me be clear, it's not that I think you've created a bad product, I wouldn't even say I overpaid. In fact I think your prototype in itself looks great and with a little more work on the design it is certainly worth the amount I backed. 

So under other circumstances I would feel happy about your prototype, be a little sad about the, let's face it, very small screen, but I'd still look forward to finally meet these shoes in person. But your constant miscommunication and repeatedly broken promises have completely taken away any joy I would feel about the unveiling of this prototype. And now you have the nerve to start a second wave of pre-orders with significantly smaller screens without even adressing this issue once in your update. If it's technologically not possible to achieve a screen that looks like the campaign images, then why for heaven's sake don't you simply write that in your update?! Do you honestly expect your backers would not notice and cheer for this amazingly not shoe-covering screen? 

I said it before and I'll say it again: It's not the shoe, it's your permanent blatant miscommunication you keep or rather don't keep with your backers, that has now almost completely killed off my enthusiasm for this project. I'm sorry for this radical post, but I have posted multiple nice versions of this throughout the development, but they have apparently all been fruitless. In four words: Great shoes, horrible communication. 

Aram Becker

Edited by inVitro
3 people like this

Remember that we are here as a method of feedback! The Shiftwear team wouldn't have bothered to create this forum and release updates unless they were willing to hear our suggestions! Be constructive with criticism and suggestions!

If this is an "early stage prototype," can I assume there are newer versions closer to the advertised shoes shown early on? 

Either way I feel this prototype reveal fell flat, especially considering they hype built up from the constant delays.

Not only that but the 2nd wave of preorders has been announced but the first wave of preorderees havent been notified when we can expect our shoes...?

I want to believe in you Shiftwear but my confidence in you is wavering. I would very much like to hear when we can expect our shoes very soon or may be I need to retract my initial preorder...

Unfortunately, the app design and the shoe model at www.shiftwear.com show us how final design and the aspect of the final product will be. I'm very disappointed and I understand that this project had its own challenges and research to make initial design a real product. I think shiftwear team failed miserably informing their backers about the changes in the final product to make this real. They waited to the final moment to see reactions about this very delayed prototype. I feel cheated but I want to believe it was not the desire of the shiftwear team to cheat us. Shiftwear was unable to deliver the product they've sold. They've scaled down shoe screen and features and are delivering roughly a 30% of what was promised. I'm ready now to ask for a full refund, I don't want this product.

Edited by Alessandro
1 person likes this

I have to agree with my fellow contributors.  I feel this prototype is not what we saw on the website where the screen wrapped all the way around.  This isn't what I was sold on.  Also the size of the prototype screen doesn't grab the attention being the size it is.  In fact the screen shape is odd in itself.  I have to say I'm very very disappointed, and I believe I have the right to be as I have been, as we ALL have been, extremely patient with stories of new offices, and expansions, and technology issues.  And this is what you have come up with?  I truly hop that you deliver what was shown on the Indigogo page of which I paid a very large sum for a pair of shoes that look nothing like the prototype.  

What further frustrates me is you're opening up pre-orders for other people.  What about us that have waited past the extended date?  Are the new backers going to receive the shoes the same time we are?  What was the benefit of being the 'first' to purchase these new and amazing shoes?  

Hey guys, I've given a brief review of the design change, decisions we made, and why we made them. Check it out here.  Thanks for sticking with us!

-NJ

Do you have a prototype where the electronics are in the shoe?

I was never intending on wearing them every day of my life and most sneakerheads keep pristine care of their shoes, so the implication that we may beat our shoes down in itself seems unrealisic for a shoe collector.  Sorry, but I take care of my shoes and never expected a screen on the toes where it is more than obvious a she will wear, bend, or even crack over time.

The funny thing in all this is this pretence that all is fine and that we re willingly waiting for our money to land us some dream product... I for one asked for a refund and was answered "read the fine prints you ll get refund the day we ll decide it s impossible to make" in other terms "the day we ll run out of cash we ll say bye!"

2 hours ago, stephlub said:

The funny thing in all this is this pretence that all is fine and that we re willingly waiting for our money to land us some dream product... I for one asked for a refund and was answered "read the fine prints you ll get refund the day we ll decide it s impossible to make" in other terms "the day we ll run out of cash we ll say bye!"

Thats why I'm asking for my refund just right now. The way they will treat this request will show customer what they are up to.

3 hours ago, INAMAGURA said:

I was never intending on wearing them every day of my life and most sneakerheads keep pristine care of their shoes, so the implication that we may beat our shoes down in itself seems unrealisic for a shoe collector.  Sorry, but I take care of my shoes and never expected a screen on the toes where it is more than obvious a she will wear, bend, or even crack over time.

I possibly was considering wearing them every day, depending on comfort (the kevlar sole was a big drawcard actually).
I don't collect shoes either so a clothing product needs to work 'as intended' for me and not be a shelf item due to it not being functional.

1 person likes this

Wow!!! So much news last month. Now it`s march and i can`t believe that " fabulous" communication with us backers. 

I wonder when I wake up and notice that I was f***